This Hindu Primer is the online version of a published book, Ganga Flows West. It is a collection of practical "snapshots" of various aspects of Hindu practice as it is seen in contempory Hindu temples and families in the West. It was written primarily for the Western born generation of Hindu young adults and for their non Hindu family members, friends and associates who would like a concise overview of modern Hindu culture.
- Sacred Objects: Trees, Lotuses, Cows
- What is the meaning of a Swastika?
- The Offerings of Food and Lamps (aarati)
- Rituals, Lamps, Holy Ash
- Feet in Hinduism
- Namaste and Bowing as Signs of Respect
- Why do Hindus wear marks on the forehead?
- Divine Blessings: Prasada
- A Sacred Plant: Tulasi
- Religious Marks: Tilaka/Tika
- The Shathari: God’s Feet
- Sacred Designs: the Yantra